Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Time Share Tales

Today was really hot and humid, but I stayed inside, and it was very comfortable.  Got a lot of laundry done, cleaned the fridge, and spent hours trying to make vacation plans for us for our time share weeks, 2 use-it-or-lose-it weeks that will be gone if we don't use them by this October.  Sigh ... and of course, there's nowhere that both of us really want to go that is available - Ireland, England, Italy, France, Greece - the list goes on and on.  That's the problem with time shares.  Unless you make arrangements 2 years in advance, you are at their mercy.  And that's not how we live our lives.  We don't make vacation plans way far in advance.  You never know what may come up and prevent you from following through.  As example, we made plans to use a week in St. Martin in 2007, and had made our plans months in advance.  Bought the airline tickets and booked the week, and I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  All is well now, but at the time I was just beginning chemotherapy, and my oncologist said I couldn't go because my immune system was compromised.  We managed to get our airline tickets refunded, but we lost the week and the deposit on the time share, and it was unable to be compensated.  I was very sad about that - I knew I was in for a long haul, and this was going to be our last vacation before all the medical trauma ahead.

So for now, we may settle on Argentina, the only place where we could find 2 consecutive weeks.  I'm sure it will be fine once we get there, but I really don't have much enthusiasm yet.  We've sold the time share, so other than one more week that will expire in 2011, we won't have any more weeks.  Worst investments we ever made.  At one point we had 2 of them, now we don't have any.

Ming Poo is moving very slowly today.  I did a better job this morning with her pain injection and her antibiotic by mouth.  She's been quiet and off sleeping most of the day.  The vet called around 1:00 to check on her, which I thought was very nice.  She's on my lap now as I'm typing, using my arm as her pillow.  I've had many corrections to make as I type!


P.S.  Forget Argentina - Hubby looked up air fare for 2 to Argentina, and it's $11,157.00 round trip.  No, that's not a typo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment