Thursday, June 10, 2010

Getting Old!

I'm pretty tired tonight.  I had a hard day at the library, where I volunteer once a week for the ongoing Book Sale.  There were many, many boxes and bags of book donations that came in during the week, and another half a dozen while I was there.  I managed to plough through most of them, but didn't get as much done as I would have liked to do.  I just don't have the energy any more.

It bothers me that I have slowed down as much as I have, and I don't know what to attribute it to, although perhaps it has to do with having had breast cancer in 2007.  The treatment for it was chemotherapy, mastectomy, radiation, and Herceptin, a monoclonal antibody infusion treatment for a year.  I started having reconstruction surgeries in April 2009, and have had several, and will have a final one for liposuction contouring on June 30th.  It just seems to me that I've really aged over the past couple of years.  I also have a lot of arthritis throughout my body, especially in my knees, and that has slowed me down a lot.  I take Aleve, but not regularly, and it helps a lot.

think maybe know I need to get back into exercise again.  I used to go to the pool twice a week for water aerobics, but I don't any more.  I've given up that membership.  I have a treadmill and that's where I have to begin.  I also have several sets of dumbbell weights, and those may help in strength training.  The other thing I like to do is to go for walks, so I may start going to a local park to take walks.  I just know I need to do something, because I sure don't like feeling this way.  At least I've managed to lose a few pounds, maybe 5-7, by cutting back on portions and making better food choices.  I need to continue to lose, although it's very hard to do.  I know all the things I need to do - it's just following through that is the key.

1 comment:

  1. Walking's great exercise - or what about swimming? Good luck with it all. No wonder you're tired after that chemical assault on your poor body. Take care.

    ReplyDelete