Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Surgery Tomorrow

It's 12:30 am and I'm wide awake - did a dumb thing and had a delicious cappuccino after dinner tonight.  Might as well take advantage of the awake time and make an entry in my blog.  At 4:30 am we're supposed to wake up and leave the house by 5:15 to be at the hospital by 6:00 am.  I'm having outpatient surgery to finish up the breast reconstruction saga brought on by my cancer diagnosis 3 years ago.  All is well - I have finished all the chemo, the mastectomy, the Herceptin infusions, the radiation, and the tram flap breast reconstruction, except for the contouring that I'm getting tomorrow.  The contouring is going to use liposuctioned fat cells from somewhere - don't know yet where - to even out the new "breast" that once was my abdomen.  That will be nice.  Then (cover your ears if you don't want to hear this) a nipple will be constructed, to be tattooed at a later date in the doctor's office.  I'm glad to see the end of the road on this journey.  Seems like it's been forever.  My experience was not bad at all - even though it was lengthy and involved.  I didn't realize at the time that my cancer was as aggressive and had spread through the breast as it did, but the treatments I had left me with the best possible final result - NED, or No Evidence of Disease.

Now for the final Nip/Tuck, and I'll be good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment